There’s nothing quite like that feeling of burning firewood in a traditional open fire or wood burning stove. However, storing wood effectively is no mean feat - it can be easy to make a few mistakes along the way. That’s why, in this post, Coal Hut are providing our top tips for storing firewood, ensuring that your wood reserves are maintained to the highest level possible.
Firewood can either be classed as ‘green’ or ‘dry’. ‘Green’ refers to wood that has been recently cut from the tree, containing a water content of 60% or more. As presumed, ‘green’ wood is not favourable for burning due to the fact that it is difficult to light, produces excess smoke and has a low heat output. In order to turn ‘green’ wood to ‘dry’ wood, it must go through the seasoning process.
In order to season wood, it should be left outside in a sheltered area so that moisture can evaporate into the air. If it is not protected from the elements, such as rain or snow, the seasoning process will be extended indefinitely. The whole process can take anywhere from 6 months to a year, so it’s best to get prepared early!
Wood stacking & storage
Here is a list of our top tips for storing your firewood:
- Store your wood a short distance away from your home - this will make it easy to gather wood into your house and protect against any vermin amongst the woodpile.
- Allow for airflow within the wood store - open structures will speed up the drying process due to air ventilation.
- Place wood store in sunlight - The more sunlight, the faster your wood will dry.
- Split wood into small lengths - Large wood logs take longer to dry and small lengths are easier to stack.
- Remove bark from wood - Bark tends to slow the process of evaporation.
- Don’t stack wood too high - Taller woodpiles are more likely to fall in the wind.
- Keep wood above ground - Wood can take in moisture from the ground which will delay the seasoning process and cause moulding.
- Keep hardwood and softwood separate - Different types of wood will vary in terms of the required seasoning time.
Coal Hut firewood
Our Kiln Dried Hardwood Logs are pre-split into convenient lengths. Perfect for open fires and wood burning stoves, they have been heated in purpose-built kilns to a moisture content of below 20%. They are easy to light, have a warm and inviting flame plus they take the hassle out of the seasoning your own wood!
We also stock a range of heat logs, wood pellets and briquettes that are sure to meet any requirements. If it isn’t firewood that you’re looking for, why not check out our range of high-quality coals and smokeless fuels?
Whatever your fuel requirements, Coal Hut can help!