A quintessential, holiday tradition made famous by that Nat King Cole song - roasting chestnuts is synonymous with Christmas time. But have you ever actually done it? Our guess is probably not. Therefore, in true festive spirit, Coal Hut are going to provide a step-by-step guide on how to roast chestnuts on an open fire.
How to roast chestnuts on an open fire?
- Rinse chestnuts in cold water - This helps to soften the extremely hard outer shell encasing the chestnuts before cooking.
- Score an ‘X’ in the chestnuts - Make sure to use a sharp knife when scoring. This part of the process prevents the chestnuts from popping open from the heat and makes them easier to peel.
- Place chestnuts in a roasting pan - Without using any cooking oil, add a single layer of chestnuts to the pan to ensure even cooking. Make sure to use a roasting pan with a large handle to protect against heat damage.
- Place cooking pan above high-quality firewood - Whilst holding the pan above the heat, frequently shake it to cook all sides of the chestnuts evenly.
- Remove chestnuts from heat - After around 25 minutes, your chestnuts will be cooked. The skin should begin to peel away, the insides will become soft, turn a dark yellow colour and produce a delicious aroma.
- Peel and devour - Give the chestnuts adequate time to cool down, then peel the skin away from the scored ‘X’ and enjoy!
So, there you have it! Your step-by-step guide on how to roast chestnuts on an open fire.
Now, we know what you’re thinking, “How am I going to afford the high-quality firewood needed to perfectly roast chestnuts?”. Well, you’re in luck! CoalHut.com are currently offering high-quality kiln dried logs for a fraction of the traditional price.
Kiln dried hardwood logs are the most efficient logs for wood burning stoves and open fires. Our logs have been dried in purpose-built kilns to below 20% moisture content, so they are ready to burn immediately. Easy to light with a warm inviting flame, satisfying heat output and a clean burn - perfect for chestnut roasting!
Perhaps Nat King Cole’s Christmas jingle is good enough for you. And that’s fine - Coal Hut also offer a range of coals and smokeless fuels that will help you beat the winter chill. Visit CoalHut.com and stay warm this freezin’ season.